Auto-Belay Rules and Guidelines
If you are an experienced roped climber and have not used an auto-belay before, you must ask a member of staff for a safety briefing before climbing.
If you are NOT an experienced roped climber, please ask about our 1 hour auto-belay inductions.
IF THE TAPE FAILS TO RETRACT AS YOU ARE CLIMBING YOU MUST STOP IMMEDIATELY. DO NOT CONTINUE TO CLIMB. CALL FOR ASSISTANCE.
- You must attach the karabiner to your harness belay loop.
- Ensure the karabiner gate is locked closed and not facing into your stomach.
- Ensure tape is not twisted before ascending.
- Do not lead on auto-belay lines whilst tape is in place – this may cause damage to the tape and your rope! To climb the line, release the auto-belay tape and let it retract to the top. Please bring down the tape and re-attach to the safety triangle once you have finished your climb.
- NEVER out-climb the device. Do not make dynamic moves or large swings which may cause the tape to become slack. Do not climb above the device.
- After descending, DO NOT LET GO OF THE KARABINER but clip it back into the safety triangle.
- Climb only directly under the auto-belay device – do not climb adjacent lines.
- Junior or novice climbers must be supervised when using this device.
- weight 10kg (22lbs) – Max. weight 150kg (330lbs).
- Device will lower immediately – ensure your landing zone is clear! Descend feet first to fend off obstacles and prepare for landing.
- There is a danger of helmet hang-up so you MUST NOT wear a helmet when using the auto-belay.